The Key To D-I-Y Success: “Know Thyself”
How To Make A New Room Using Leftover Space
Classic, time-tested recipe to convert and remodel a leftover basement area, approximately 280 square feet, to be a multi-purpose bonus room for the entire family to enjoy. One corner of the area, approximately 24 square feet, can accommodate a powder room for occupants’ convenience. An existing doorway accesses the rear garden for indoor-outdoor parties. Delicious possibilities for year-round entertaining!
The key to D-I-Y success is to be honest about what you can do yourself, and what you can’t do (i.e., hire others!)
3 weeks – 6 months (variables include time available, help available)
4 to 20 occupants
Ingredients (*Items must not be substituted):
*One structural engineer
*One draftsperson (professional or DIY)
*Gallons of “sweat equity”
*2 ea. 4×10 Beams, 16 feet long
*1 ea. 4×6 Pressure-treated beam, 24 feet long
*18 ea. 2×8 Pressure-treated joists, 16 feet long
*30 ea. Joist hangers
*24 ea. 2×4 Studs, 8 feet long
*18 ea. 4×8 Plywood sheets (3/4″ thick)
Family members and friends (helpers)
Professional contractors and designers, as needed
. . . . plus at least 31 other ingredients!
- Prepare “as-built” and “proposed” plans of the area to be remodeled.
- Engage a structural engineer to prepare framing details and calculations.
- Submit the proposed plans, structural details and calculations to the local building department for homeowner remodeling permits.
- Purchase and store all products for the project (except vinyl flooring and carpeting).
- Follow the plans; call the engineer to approve any changes to the proposed remodeling.
- Schedule (and be prepared for) inspections of work progress.
- Hire specialty contractors, as needed, for framing, finish carpentry, electrical and plumbing help. Get referrals from building organizations. Check references, licensing, bonding, and insurance. Verify workmen’s compensation.
- Apply “sweat equity” until the remodeling project is finished.
This recipe will serve an entire family for many years, and it will guarantee a smoother sale when you decide to move.
Diane Plesset is a Kitchen-Bath Design Specialist with over 30 years of remodeling experience. Call Diane today, to talk about your home remodeling project: 503-632-8801, or send a message requesting more information.
© Copyright 2015 D. P. Design “See the Possibilities. Create a Positive Difference.”